Thursday, April 26, 2012

traveling vegan

Today was spent packing the car, putting together jewelry, and planning my menu for the weekend. Since becoming vegan it has been extremely challenging to eat while on the road. Actually part of why I became a vegan was due to the ease of eating poisonous crap while driving. Driving up or down the East coast? Hungry (or more likely bored)? Just wait 5 minutes and you'll be able to drive through a McDonalds and without even having to walk to the door you can have a double cheeseburger and giant chocolate milkshake. I'll admit it, I had a HUGE problem with my eating habits when going or returning from shows. Unless you plan ahead and pack your own food there is no easily accessible, healthy food located just off the highway.* Which is why I spent a few hours today preparing.

Usually the shows I do are located near a Wholefoods. If I'm staying in a hotel with a refrigerator I can pick up breakfast and lunch for the next day the night I get in to town. Unfortunately there are no Wholefoods in Athens. Time to drag out the cooler.

Thanks to a facebook friend I found this recipe for super yummy, pretty healthy OATMEAL BLUEBERRY MUFFINS. I made mine "mini" (drop the temp to 325ยบ and bake for 15mins) and now I have breakfast or snacks. The place I'm staying has a small fridge so I also packed cereal and a box of coconut almond milk. Have you triedBlue Diamond's vanilla coconut almond milk yet? I'm excited to give this a try.

Lunch will be udon noodles (high in protein!) and raw broccoli in a dressing made from soy sauce, sesame oil, mirin, onion & garlic powder. The dressing will break down the broccoli and make it just a little softer. I also made a salad of cannellini beans, black olives, peas with a dressing of olive oil, lemon juice, dried sage & thyme. I know it might sound a bit odd but it is delicious!!

Other snacks will be veggie pirate booty, edemame, bananas, clif's builder chocolate mint protein bars, and a big bottle of my special vegetable juice (tomato, celery, beet, kale, carrot + a healthy dash of hot sauce). We have an amazing juicer, which has got to be my favorite purchase of the past year, but I do cheat and start with a base of 365 organic tomato juice.

Do you think I have enough food???

I plan to treat myself to at least one, possibly two, restaurant meals this trip. I've been told The Grit is good and very vegan friendly. I'll let you know if I make it there.

My goal is to be in Athens by 5pm. Wish me luck and please come see me at the Athens Indie Craftstravaganzaa if you're in town!


*I've found "healthy-ish" fast food exceptions to be Subway (if you ignore the fact that to the best of my knowledge the bread is not vegan) and Chipotle (which are still few and far between).

No comments:

Post a Comment